Monday, July 1, 2013

What was I going to write...?

Now that I am 30 weeks pregnant, I am becoming forgetful.  When I pointed out to Mr. Adventure that I am 75% pregnant, he looked at me questioningly.  I told him, “I mean, I could pass a pregnancy test, but I’m not going to ace it.”  Then some additional jokes were made.  When I told my boss that I am 75% pregnant, she told me she is pretty sure I am 100% pregnant, but 75% done cooking.

With the heat wave going on in the western U.S. Mr. Adventure has also made comments about not wanting the “bun in the oven to burn” and not wanting an “overcooked baby,” which I think is him mostly trying to get me to turn the a/c on in the car and let the car cool for a few minutes before I get in.
Speaking of overcooked baby, according to the internet, McCloud is the size of a head of cabbage this week!  It makes me wonder if the Cabbage Patch Kid preemies were born at 30 weeks?  Perhaps I should write to the manufacturer to inquire about this very important issue.  In honor of how incredibly hot it is outside, here is a recipe for cabbage rolls, delicious for summer and impossible to burn.  Whether you use a cabbage with a baby inside is entirely up to you.  I haven’t actually made this particularly recipe, but it looks very similar to the one I normally make and, considering the lack of remembering skills I am currently dealing with, I will probably forget a crucial ingredient if I try to recall my own recipe.  All I know for sure is that I add chili garlic paste to pretty much everything because, well, it’s delicious.  So, the recipe for Thai cabbage rolls for your eating pleasure.
My coworkers threw me a lovely baby shower on Saturday.  I had never been to a baby shower before, but my coworker who hosted has a darling eight month old son and a kind and adorable three year old daughter.  Her home is like something out of a magazine, complete with a turret in the master suite and a beautiful rose garden in the backyard.  She called it her “forever house” and told us about how her daughter will get married in the rose garden one day.  The food was amazing, the company was delightful… it was a very casual yet classy affair.  The hostess had three games we played and gave a prize of a scented candle to each of the winners.  The first game was a word find.  We had five minutes to find as many words as possible on the paper she gave us.  She also made several felt diapers, pinned together, that we pulled out of a basket and the game was “who has the dirty diaper?” Kind of gross, but not too gross.  The final game I thought was rather clever.  It was baby shower bingo.  Everyone was given a blank bingo card and had to fill in the gifts they thought I would receive at the party.  Whoever got “Bingo” first when I opened the gifts won the final prize.  In addition to two small bags of high quality hand-me-downs from a super handsome eight month old, I received some lovely blankets, a bouncy chair, glass bottles (which I am in love with.  I have some plastic ones, too, which Mr. Adventure states will be easier for El Bebe to hold before he develops his bottle holding muscles) and some great books and toys and clothes.  My two favorite books were Go the F**k to Sleep, and Mustache Baby!  I put the first book on my registry at Amazon, but the second was a hilarious surprise.  I think it will go well with the Cowboy Mustachifier I received.

Now I have a ton of thank you cards to write, but I have been having a hard time staying awake.  And I have been trying to think of the perfect hostess gift for my coworker.  She loves wine (possibly more than I do) so I was thinking a nice bottle of pinot grigio and this  People seem to love it and I think the best gifts are things that people would never get for themselves, like truffle butter.  I think a gift for her wee babe is also in order, since he so generously gave me some of his old clothes, including a small stack of reusable peepee teepees.  For those of you unfamiliar with the peepee teepee, here is the link.  I’ve heard they aren’t all that great, my coworker said they didn’t really help, but we will see.  When I showed them to Mr. Adventure and explained to him what they are, he said, “I never thought of that!  The baby better not pee in my face!”  Only time will tell…
We still haven’t painted the nursery or stained the floor.  Apparently I was wrong when I said Mr. Adventure was done sanding the floor.  He still needs to do the finish sanding.  If we wait too much longer, I am going to have to tag in my support team to paint for me, because I won’t be able to stand close enough to the wall.  I’ve also been on houzz.com and found some really cool nursery designs and ideas.  I love this but considering neither the Mister nor I possess drawing skills, I think we are going to go with something a bit more traditional.  Like a sage green wall with a giant tree painted in one of the corners.  I was also thinking it could be cool to have an outer space wall.  Just one.  Because, um, space is rad.  I don’t know.  There is no base trim in that room, so Mr. Adventure has asked me to start looking at trim, but the thing is, I don’t give a shit about trim.  He seems to have an idea of what he wants, so why do I have to look?  I’m already interviewing day cares and pediatricians, do I really need to help pick out trim, too?  Babies don't give a shit about trim.
Okay.  It is snack time.  Remember to eat your cabbage, folks.  Also, I would advise against measuring around what used to be the smallest part of your waist.  It will only lead to tears.
That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment