Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Car wrecks, cauliflower and something else that starts with "C"

Dear Internet,

I love alliterations.  I just wanted to let you know.  But it is not even 6:30 in the morning, and due to a yet-to-be fully functioning brain, I could not think of another c word.  Well, now I'm thinking of a c word, but probably one I shouldn't include in the heading of this post.  Unless I suddenly become British.  Then I think it would be okay.

Have you ever been in a car accident?  You're sitting at a stop light, or in traffic behind another car, and you glance back in your rear view mirror and see a car approaching a bit too fast.  The car is not slowing down.  As it gets closer, you know you're going to get hit by it and there is nothing you can do.  With 13 weeks left until my due date, that is how I'm starting to feel.  Sometime within the next 15 weeks, I am going to have a baby and there is nothing I can do to stop it.  What if I suddenly change my mind and decide motherhood isn't for me?  That I prefer coming home just to Mr. Adventure and our two dogs?  What if the dogs hate the baby?  Will it help if I dress the baby up like a dog?  Or start saving all of the dog hair from brushing them and weave it into a tiny babysuit?  Also, Mr. Adventure isn't even done sanding the floor in the nursery yet.  We (He) still needs to restain and seal it, too.  Then we have to paint.  How can a baby sleep in a room that isn't painted the proper color?  That doesn't have beautifully restored oak floors?  Is it possible?

End anxiety scene.

Okay.  Now that I've got that out of my system...

It was pointed out to me that menudo is either a sweet dish made from plantains or a Mexican boy band where Ricky Martin got his start.  It is not the waxy stuff babies are covered in like I claimed it was a couple of weeks ago.  That stuff is called vernix caseosa, which sounds like a spell out of Harry Potter (wingardium leviosa!).

The internet tells me that, this week, McCloud is the size of a head of cauliflower.  Last week, he was iceberg lettuce and I feel that these two vegetables are comparable in size.  And I seem to be unable to type the word "cauliflower" without the word "ear" after it.  I keep having to delete it.  Is this a sign that McCloud will be a boxer?

Mr. Adventure was talking about taking up kickboxing again and expressed an interest in learning krav maga.  You know how they have Mommy and Me yoga classes and whatnot?  I wonder if they have Daddy and Me krav maga.  If not, they totally should.  I would sign my baby up.  He would be a deadly weapon by the age of one.  Which could either be a good thing or a bad thing.

The dogs have become very interested in the stroller and car seat we got over the weekend.  Hopefully they will keep that enthusiasm and curiosity when we start stroller training them this week.

Speaking of stroller training, did you know that this exists?  Seriously.  We can put our kids on leashes and our dogs in strollers.  I don't get it.

I read a lot, for those of you who don't know, and I came across this article last week on Finnish babies.  They were able to significantly decrease the infant mortality rate in their country by offering an incentive for women to seek prenatal care early.  That is awesome.  I want a Finnish baby box.  And the more I read about Finland, the more I love it.  When I was earning my Master's in Teaching, I came across an article about how Finland revamped their education system.  They did this by completely eliminating private schools, making teaching a highly selective and competitive field, and compensating Finnish teachers at a high enough wage to attract the best and the brightest into the field of teaching.

Can I be Finnish?

I think that's all.  If you are now hungry for cauliflower, I am in love with 101cookbooks and Heidi Swanson.  I own both of her cookbooks.  You should check out her blog/recipe for Simple cauliflower.  There are tons of variations you can do and it is super easy and delicious.  Mr. Adventure hates cauliflower, but we get it from our CSA from time to time, and he likes this recipe.  Another good one is the Cauliflower Soup with Gorgonzola recipe.  She calls for creme fraiche (which always makes me think of that South Park episode, which causes me to laugh like a 14 year old on drugs) but I normally use plain yogurt or sour cream or whatever I have lying around that sounds like it might be good.

If you are more interested in cauliflower ear then cauliflower, I recommend finding a fight to watch.  If you don't have access to Pay Per View or whatever, maybe you could watch Cops?  Or Jerry Springer?  Is Jerry Springer even on any more?

Okay.  That is all.  For real. 

No comments:

Post a Comment