Friday, December 20, 2013

Compliments to the babe!

I went to a work-related cookie exchange last weekend and brought my favorite baby with me.  And it got me thinking about compliments and the weirdness of the compliments people typically extend to babies. And I'm kind of inspired now to start using these compliments on adults.

For example:
"Your neck muscles are so strong!"
"You're really good at holding your head up!"
"Look at you using your hands!"
"You grabbed your giraffe!  Good job!"
"Are you smiling?  You're so good at smiling!"
"Is that your elephant?  Can you grab your elephant?  Good job!"
Post-burp: "Good job!"

Granted, I deliver many of these compliments, but the idea of complimenting an adult on their head control cracks me up.  I wonder how my boss would take it if I went in to her office while she was writing an email and said, "Look at you!  Typing with two fingers!  Good job!"

In other news...

I stepped on the scale with Fatty McFatfat.  He weighs over 16 pounds.  He just turned 3 months old.  And I knew he was huge, what with his glorious neck rolls and whatnot, but last night I saw a 6.5 month baby and a baby that was born on August 27th.  They were both smaller than Hamburglar.  It kind of put into perspective how super giant my baby is.  But, one of my coworkers told me that her exclusively breastfed first born was 28 pounds by 6 months and then was 30 pounds at a year.  So I guess we will see what happens once Chubs McBabylegs starts moving around.  (Also, as a side note, I added McBabylegs as a word into my phone so I can Swype it now instead of having to type it out every time.  So that's nice.)

What else?  Christmas is next week.  And I got presents for Mr. Baby, even though he won't be able to open them.  It's all stuff I want to have for him between now and his next birthday.  So, on the Hamburglar McCloud Christmas list, we have...

Plan Toys Cone Sorting  The box says for 18 months or older, but a lot of reviewers said they wished they had had it earlier.  Probably not 3 months early, but whatever.

The Plan Toys Rattle Baby  I wanted to get him a rattle.  Silver rattles are expensive.  My dad gave us his old rattle from when he was a baby, and it's super cool, but I think McCloud is a bit too young to play with old, rusty bottle caps from the 1940's.  Maybe after he gets his first tetanus shot...

Triangles by Haba  I just liked the reviews.

Plan Toys Butterfly Mirror  Can you tell I like Plan Toys?

For Mr. Adventure's 5 year old daughter, we got:

A Lady Bug Tea Set (her dad calls her Ladybug)

Crayon Rocks for the stocking and colored pencils.  And a tiara.

This super cool rag doll  If she likes it as much as I do, we are going to get her the mermaid for her birthday next month.

This super cool book

I also got some books for the kids.  Including Fortunately, The Milk by Neil Gaiman.  And the Gashlycrumb Tinies by Edward Gorey.  But that is more for me.

So, there you go.  Weird compliments and child/baby gifts.  Happy Christmas/Solstice/whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment